Monday, January 31, 2011

Candy Popcorn - White Chocolate & Peppermint!

We made popcorn.
I must admit I was a bit apprehensive.
Peppermint popcorn?
But-
If you have any of these left over


This is a good recipe for Valentine's Day

 
White Chocolate and Peppermint Popcorn:

~ 2 packages white chocolate baking morsels (or 16 oz almond bark)

~ 1 cup finely crushed (like sand) peppermints (about 10-12 candy canes or 40 mints). I recommend using a blender or food processor. (Note: mints will scratch plastic if you do not have glass.)

~ 2-3 bags microwave popcorn or (4 quarts popped popcorn)

Slowly melt white chocolate or almond bark in the microwave. Stir often to keep chocolate from burning. Stir 1/2 cup crushed peppermints into the white chocolate. Place popped corn into a large bowl. Pour melted white chocolate and peppermint mixture over the popcorn. Gently stir to coat popcorn while sprinkling remaining crushed peppermints over the popcorn. 

Pour onto parchment paper and let coating harden!
 
I used

See my big chunks of candy cane.
This pic is BEFORE I got wise and used my blender!
At first I was easy on the candycanes -
(I did not know what it would taste like)
So I only put a few candy canes in a plastic bag and used a rolling pin -
Not fun - lots of holes in the plastic bag, candy pieces flying everywhere!

(So I do recommend a blender - just drag it out, it is worth it)

I did discover
the mintier the better too!

It was really yummy!

she has better pics!  Seems like her candy canes had more red - prettier that way!

And just for fun!
They have the Valentine Spirit already!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh I know this is an old post, but this is my first visit. I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. Please stop by and return the favor. This looks so yummy. We will definately be trying this...after Lent.